Thursday, November 14, 2013

Rio anyone? (Revised)

Today I'm sharing two of my new favorite recipes.
Homemade White Flour Tortillas
Café Rio Cilantro Lime Rice

I searched and searched online for a tortilla recipe and most of what I found were pretty much identical. Now, this recipe will work with either a tortilla press or just rolling them by hand- whatever you have available to you.

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbs baking powder
1 heaping tsp salt
6 Tbs lard or softened butter
3/4 cup warm water - as hot out of the tap as you can handle on your hands

Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and then cut in butter until crumbly. Use your hands - it's just easier. You won't lose butter on ______utensil that you are using and it'll be faster. PLUS - that's how it's always been done, so take a trip into history.


Slowly add the water in and form a soft dough. You may not need all of the water (I used my whey from my homemade yogurt so I actually needed more water than it called for). The dough won't really be sticky because your oil wasn't in liquid form. *If you decide to substitute oil for the butter it will change the consistency. I've read mixed reviews on this - some do it and some say to NEVER do it. I haven't tried it because we always keep butter on hand and it's so much more delicious.

Roll into golf ball sized clumps (will make about 12 of these) but keep in mind that the more you work with dough the tougher the end result will be so this is not the time to be a perfectionist.


Cover with a damp cloth and get your skillet hot (medium heat). One a lightly dusted surface roll out your balls very thin. They may not be round at first - my first batch I only had one round tortilla.



*Tip, if you turn the tortilla a few inches between each roll it will be easier.

Throw it on the skillet and continue rolling out. But be sure to watch the tortillas in the pan.


Hold finished tortillas in a towel to keep warm and soft. Refrigerate or freeze leftovers. If freezing - make sure they have fully cooled.














Happy Festa!